Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Looking for a snack

asg
askdjh
Having burned the pizza I was hungry not too long after dinner so I went looking for a snack.
There, on one of the shelves, was a can of some kind of passion fruit juice or pulp that I decided to try.
It was sweet but not too much after adding ice and it tasted pretty much like the fresh fruit would.
As I look to into the glass and at all the seeds floating happily in the yellow goo I thought to myself  "this has to be good for your health. So I checked and it really is:






Health & Nutrition Benefits of Eating Passion Fruit 
  • The juice of passion fruit reduces cancer cell growth. Though research is underway on this issue, the phytochemicals in the fruit juice are considered to inhibit cancer cell growth.
  • The phenolic acids and flavonoids present in the fruit are supposed to possess heart-protecting function.
  • The phenolic profile of the fruit is known for its anti-microbial activity.
  • Passion fruit is a good source of antioxidants, both water soluble and fat soluble ones.
  • Passion fruit is considered good for products which require pasteurization.
  • The fruit is quite high in carbohydrates and simple sugars, which improves athletic performance.
  • It contains plant sterols, which help in lowering the levels of cholesterol.
  • Passion fruit is a reservoir of Vitamin C, Vitamin A and Potassium.
  • The seeds of the fruit are very vital sources of fiber.
  • It is supposed to possess somniferous properties, which when taken before going to bed, help the person to relax and have a restful sleep.
My girlfriend took a sip and said:
-It's good. It's like drinking tadpoles.
:)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just had my first passion fruit today in Hawaii, I had been throwing them around to play with the bed & breakfast owners' dog up until now. I had found one on the ground and thrown it a couple of times which broke the tough skin, and after looking inside and seeing the inside was untouched I pretty much devoured it. I had no idea what it was at the time; the smell was too alluring and if it had been poisonous I would definitely have been hospitalized, but I guess my nose "knows", haha!